07 mars 2011

It's Just so Unfair

I have made many trips in my life, but never before have I returned with a totally different view to my life and the world around me. But when I came home from India, I did. I saw things I did not know existed, I met people with a friendliness I never thought was possible, and I saw a contrast between poverty and wealth that I never could imagine be real.

When I stepped of the train in a town close to Agra, a child ran up to me and tried to take my box of food. I got so chocked that I hold on to it, and before I even realized what was going on my guide scared him away. The walk from the train to our bus was a dèja vu back to Slumdog billionaire. Children were running around begging for food, but as soon a rich person, such as my guide, yelled at the children they showed respect and ran away fast. The trains were crowded with people, and when you thought not even a mouse would fit suddenly three more people jumped in the train, how was it possible? I have no clue, but I'm glad I was not a part of it. The worst thing I know is to face hungry children. But with the kids at the station it was different. It was not a desperate ask for help, it was skilled sales people trying to convince the tourists to pay. A girl, probably not older than five, knew exactly what to say, had learned a few words in english and was able to communicate her message very well. I couldn't stop thinking

-how far would this girl go if she had the opportunity to a real education, a home, and the possibility to live in a safe area. 

Our own kids are getting lacy, are protected by a shelter and they never need to fight to survive. I'm thankful for that, but in the same time, I feel like our world is so unfair. The five year old girl has a sparkle, a talent, but the life she is facing is nothing more than a daily trip to the train station in a try to convince some "lucky" rich people giving her some of their earned money, earned by an effort not even comparable to the obstacles the kids were facing each day. 


Inga kommentarer: